Words By Juwan Williams
Jamal got an early lesson on what it meant to be stylish from his father, and has since come up with his definition. As a master of street style, Jamal Jackson is the embodiment of New York cool. Going by the name “Style Society Guy”, Jamal launched his own website Stylesocietyguy.com where style and fashion are the main-focus. Jamal has collaborated with many brands and his work has been featured in over 50 publications such as Forbes, Esquire, Vogue and GQ. On his website, you will find tips on what to wear, how to wear it, and where to get it. Keeping up with trends and sharing knowledge is what Jamal Jackson is all about. Jamal continues to set the bar by creating innovative and daring guidelines for style.
- Born and raised?
- I’m from Maryland. I moved NYC in 2008 for College. In school, I studied marketing and fashion.
- What do you do?
- I am content creator and social media blogger. My website stylesocietyguy.com highlights men’s fashion, lifestyle, and travel. Through my blogging, I have could learn and pass on so much information that attains to fashions and lifestyle. I utilize my platform to speak out on being a part of the millennial generation and being on different sides of the industry such as modeling, marketing and creating original content.
- What lead you into fashion?
- I would say it stemmed from my dad; He was a stylish guy. My father taught me the importance of self-upkeep and hygiene. As I got older I became fixated with my appearance and the way I dressed. I quickly developed my own sense of style by keeping up with currents trends and always adding my own touch.
- How did you get your start?
- I started out by using my Tumblr and Instagram as my main sources for my visuals. When I would post photos to my profile I would site all the sources of what I was wearing. After a while, I had different brands and PR companies reaching out to me. The website was way for me to share that knowledge on a larger scale.
- What inspires your content for your website?
- The website is visual inspiration. Half of the content is of things that people request; the other half is of things and ideas that were self-inflicted. Most of my fashions looks are things I would wear and how I would wear it. My looks and ideas are very transparent and able to be switched up.
- What is your favorite street wear brand?
- Uniqlo. If you are having a sweatpants and tee-shirt day or you are feeling a little more sophisticated; you will find something that for you.
- What do you love most about being a fashion blogger?
- I love that I get to past knowledge. I am very appreciative when someone shares their knowledge with me, so it’s only right that I keep that cycle going. So much information has been missed out on because people don’t share knowledge these days. I love going to schools or speaking to the youth about what I do because it’s a great feeling to share information with someone who shares your passion.
- How would you describe your own personal style?
- I would say that my style is more like “comfy cool”. Whether I’m wearing jeans or in a three piece suit it must be comfortable. I also like to play with colors, whether they be dull or neutral. Sometimes I like to switch it up and where bright colors that are inspired by things that I see in New York City.
- What is your favorite quote?
- “Your knowledge means nothing if you can’t pass it on.”