Fast-food giant McDonald’s is going to give $500,000 in scholarships to HBCU students. The initiative is part of the companies Black & Positively Golden Scholarship Program.
The company is running the program for its second consecutive year. McDonald’s started it in 2020 “to help HBCU students continue their education in the midst of COVID-19, which caused financial strain on many students and their families”.
The company has partnered with the Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) in order to administer the money. TMCF was established in 1987 and is now the largest organization in America representing the Black college community. President and CEO of the fund, Dr. Harry L. Williams said“We are proud to continue our longstanding partnership with McDonald’s and work with these exceptional students. Amid the uncertainty and confusion of the current state of the world, students remain some of the key drivers of change. They are rising to the challenges they are facing and working hard to provide much-needed support to their families and communities. With the help of partners like McDonald’s, TMCF is committed to supporting these outstanding students and helping them develop into tomorrow’s industry leaders.”
Who is eligible for the scholarship?
34 students will receive a scholarship of up to $15,000 for the 2021-2022 academic school year. The $7,500 per semester can only be applied to tuition and usual fees.
To be eligible students must meet the below requirements.
- Be 18 years old or older
- Be enrolled full-time as a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior attending an HBCU during the 2021-2022 academic school year
- Have a current cumulative grade point average of 2.7 or higher
- Demonstrate leadership abilities and financial need
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident with a valid permanent resident card or passport stamped I-551
The deadline for application is 11:59 EST on May 10th.
How To Apply
Click here and complete the tasks outlined below.
- Provide the transcript (official or unofficial) for your most recently completed academic term-this should include your end of Fall 2020 grades and cumulative GPA.
- Please upload a professional image in your school logo/and colors.
- Answer the following video interview questions (1-2 mins for each question): Do you consider yourself a changemaker? An individual that helps institute positive growth for your school? For your community? If so, how & why?How do you demonstrate Black & Positively Golden at your HBCU or community?